Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Sick Sick Sick and COVID 19



I had a rough go for a while.  The first two weeks in February McKinley and I kept taking turns with a cold.  We felt pretty good around her birthday so I thought we were done getting sick. However, the day after her birthday (Tuesday Feb. 18th) I started to not feel well again.  I got another cold and started loosing my voice.  Wednesday night Easton started running a fever and stayed home from school for a few days.  Easton, McKinley and I stayed home from church because we all weren't feeling very well.  By Sunday night McKinley and I were both running fevers and by Wednesday night Blair and Blakely started running fevers (the night Gretchen came into town).  Blair's fever was only a low grade fever but I was worried that hers would eventually get high like everyone else so she stayed home from school for a day.  She was fine the next day.  Blakely however had a fever for about 3-4 days (same as Easton and McKinley).  My fever lasted about 5-6 days.  Nathan was the next victim and started running a fever Friday (the day Bethanie and Hudson came into town). I think his fever lasted about 3-4 days.  Dyer was the only one in our family that didn't get sick.  

To make things worse on Sunday night (Mar. 1) I started feeling itchy on my feet and hands again...I was pretty sure I was getting Cholestasis again (30 weeks).  I called the hospital Monday morning hoping they could get me in for a same day appointment.  Of course they didn't have anything available so I had to wait another day.  Monday night I was itchy all over my body.  That never happened when I was pregnant with McKinley so I was worried that it was worse this time around.  At my appointment on Tuesday they decided to put me on Ursodiol just in case I had Cholestasis and I had to go get my blood drawn.  The bile acid test takes about 1-2 weeks to get the results so they just wanted to start treating it right away just to be safe.  Thank goodness because it is miserable to deal with the itching and it takes a while for the medicine to kick in anyways.  About 10 days later we found out that my bile acids were up to 59!  The normal range is 0-10!  Yep, definitely had Cholestasis.

If all that wasn't bad enough on Tuesday night (Mar. 3) I woke up around 11:30 pm to tons of pressure in my right ear.  Along with my fever I was super congested and obviously all the fluid in my ear wasn't draining.  I was up for about 35 minutes with excruciating pain.  I've had my ear drum rupture twice before but both times it happened rather quickly.  This dragged on forever!  It was horrible.  Eventually the Tylenol I took started to kick in and the pressure wasn't as bad that I was able to fall asleep.  When I woke up in the morning I had blood on my pillow...Yep, my ear drum ruptured again!  I went to the ER that morning.  They couldn't tell if my ear drum ruptured because there was so much blood in the way.  They just decided to put me on antibiotics.  I had Nathan look in my ear last week (5 weeks after) and he said there is still a huge hole...I'm hoping this will heal itself because I really don't want to have to get surgery to fix the hole.  I'm told it can take 6-8 weeks to heal so fingers crossed that it heals in the next 2 weeks.

Back to Cholestasis...since I have Cholestasis the doctors started making me do Non Stress Tests (NST) twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays).  My first day was Mar. 13th.  I was really annoyed that I was going to have to do this because it was just going to be a pain to add this to an already busy schedule.  Plus I would need to arrange for McKinley to go to Teddy's Child Watch twice a week for at least an hour.  I'm sure McKinley wouldn't mind but I just had a bad attitude about it.  Well, with the Covid-19 going around they decided on Mar. 13th that the kids would no longer be going to school (at least for 2 weeks).  Those two weeks turned into over a month and now the kids will no longer be going back to school for the rest of the school year.  Everyone is supposed to stay home unless it is absolutely necessary to leave your house.  The kids are doing distance learning (aka homeschooling).  Church has been cancelled and most places are closed down.  It is so crazy!  It's a bit ironic now because with everything being shut down I actually look forward to my NST.  It is nice to just get out of the house 2-3 times a week.  Also, because I have Cholestasis I have to get induced 3 weeks early.  Tomorrow I'm scheduled to get induced so hopefully by Friday we will have a new little one.      

This is what stores looked like when everything started getting shut down!  Everyone was freaking out and hoarding things.  You couldn't find toilet paper, Clorox wipes, or hand sanitizer anywhere!   

playground closed

No comments:

Post a Comment