Sunday, June 28, 2020

Eden Valerie Kelsey

Eden Valerie Kelsey was born on April 17, 2020 at 12:23 pm.  She was 6 lbs 2.2 oz and 19 in.  A good size for being 3 weeks early!  Valerie came over and stayed with the kids.  Nathan and I checked in at the hospital around 5 pm on April 16th.  They put an IV in around 6 pm and about 30 minutes later they decided to start the induction by putting balloons in.  I wasn't even dilated or effaced so them putting balloons in was horrible!  I got a balloon put in when I had to get induced with McKinley but I was only 10 days away from my due date, was already somewhat dilated, and was having contractions more often.  They told me when I was getting induced with McKinley that a lot of people say the balloon hurts a lot.  Surprisingly with McKinley it was fine.  I felt a little bit of pressure but it wasn't anything like they were warning me about.  I thought it would be the same experience with Eden but holy cow it was not the same at all!  I understand now what they were saying when I got induced with McKinley.  With McKinley though they only used one balloon, with Eden they used two.  I don't know if that second balloon was what made it more painful or what but it definitely was not fun!

It was a very slow and long process.  The balloons finally came out around 5 am.  When the balloons  come out it means that you're dilated to a 4.  They checked me afterwards and said I was at a 4 and 75% effaced!  Finally some progress after about 11 hours!  They did give me some medicine during the night to help me sleep because my contractions were keeping me awake (the contractions were coming every 3 minutes) but the medicine was really trippy!  Almost instantly after they gave me the medicine my eyes got super heavy and I couldn't keep them open.  It was really weird though because I felt like I was in an in between stage of being awake and asleep.  I couldn't open my eyes but I didn't feel like I was completely asleep though either.  I kept having really weird "dreams" and I kept thinking to myself how weird things were and how I wish I could shut my brain off so I could actually get some sleep.  The only positive thing was I got a little break from feeling contractions but I definitely didn't feel like I got any rest.

Around 7:30 am they decided to start pitocin.  I was really hoping that the balloons would be enough like it was with McKinley but that wasn't the case this time around.  Pitocin wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I got Pitocin with Easton and I remember it was horrible.  

Around 10:30 I got my epidural.  I let a student administer it and that wasn't the best idea....I really wanted to say no when they asked but I didn't.  I swear she pricked me at least 7 times and adjusted the needle/catheter several times.  Anyone that has ever gotten an epidural knows getting poked once is enough.  As luck would have it the epidural only worked on half my body like it did with Easton.  This led to more adjusting.  Eventually they were able to get it to kind of work on the left side of my body but not as well as my right.  I tried to sleep for a while (that's the main reason I get an epidural so I can get a nap in. That and back labor sucks!) but they kept coming in and bugging me for the first 30 minutes.  Shortly after 11 they decided to break my bag of water.  It was around this time that my epidural wasn't working anymore.  I could move my left leg just fine and I was starting to get feeling back in my right leg.  Plus I was definitely feeling my contractions again!  Ugh!  All that pain to get the epidural and it wasn't even working!  I kept telling the nurse anytime she came in but she basically kept telling me that it was normal.  Sorry but this is my 5th epidural (didn't have time to get one with Dyer) so I think I know what is normal and what to expect!  Eventually I just pushed the button every 15 minutes on the dot up until she came out to try and get some relief.  I never had to push the button with any of my other epidurals.  By the time it was time to deliver Eden I was only numb (really numb) in my right leg.  I could feel all the contractions and I could move my left leg no problem.  It was so strange!  I think I would have been better off not getting the epidural in the first place.

Around 12:15 pm Dr. Bart and a bunch of other people came in to get ready to deliver Eden.  They were still getting ready and had their backs turned to me when I said, "I'm feeling a lot of pressure! I think she's coming!" Sure enough when Dr. Bart turned around Eden's head was already out!  He had me push one time to finish delivering her.









Haha!  My sister sent this HUGE bow as a joke!  I thought I would snap a picture and show just how ridiculously huge this thing is on her. 

While we were waiting to get discharged from the hospital we did a little photo shoot!  My sister also sent this monthly headband and the monthly numbers below.



Still waiting to get discharged...I was more than ready to leave!  

The girls were super excited to see their baby sister!

McKinley just LOVES and ADORES her baby sister!  
I was super worried that she wouldn't like her baby sister because she is such a mommy's girl.  McKinley is so sweet with her.  When McKinley wants her mommy time she kindly goes around to everyone asking them if they want to hold the baby.  So cute!

It makes me wonder though if COVID 19 wasn't happening if McKinley would still be super sweet with her baby sister.  It has been a blessing to have all the kids/dad home to play with McKinley and help out with the baby.  I think it would have been a tough transition for McKinley if it was just her home all day with me and baby.

McKinley for some reason has a hard time saying Eden's name.  It comes out more like Aiden.  When I correct her and try having her say it correctly she says, "Oh, I mean baby sister!"  

Blakely as first was more stand offish with Eden than her other sisters.  Now she usually wants to hold her first thing in the morning before anyone else gets up.  

Blair is of course still the baby hog.  However, I think Easton might be almost just as bad as she is.  They like to "fight" over Eden.  They are both really good with her.  I can't believe that I don't have a picture of either of the boys holding Eden.  I need to work on that!

Dyer's just finally coming around and asking to hold Eden more.  I think he was nervous to hold her when she was first born but he's warming up to her.  

First Sunday!  We are having church at home these days but we still dressed Eden up in her Sunday best.  I needed to get a picture of her so I could add her picture to the wall!

Sneaking in Eden time before everyone else wakes up!

No comments:

Post a Comment